Eastern Exodus: There is no dodging the demographic crisis – VoxEurop (English)

In parts of Europe, emigration poses a much bigger challenge than immigration. A few decades from now, writes Slavenka Drakulić, Croatia will be a country of old people with nobody left to take care of them. And instead of real solutions, politicians offer nothing but empty promises and patriotic slogans.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://voxeurop.eu/en/2020/eastern-exodus-5124352

To be frank, only due to my deep Patriotism and Nationalism-driven unwillingness to emmigrate, but also my entrepreneurial spirit I have not left Poland, yet. But thoughts for emmigration have been strong in my mind for the last 20 years or so. Even before Poland joined EU, I wanted to leave Poland to emmigrate to Norway or other Scandinavian country. The second chance for permanent emmigration came in 2011 when nearly I left Poland for Germany. Only due to fact that contact with my fellow German colleague who was helping me with learning German (in trade for Polish), Juergen ceased to exist, I have not settled there for good. Today, I am still thinking about leaving Poland permanently, but it will be Canada or USA which would be a geographical direction for emmigration. Reasons for emmigration in my case are not economic ones, since I have a decent, stable job and a many years-lasting experience with having my own firm (although I had to close it in 2016). The main reason for emmigration is…cultural and social degradation of Polish society. I am stick and tired of Polish lack of social cohesion and level of hatred and personal egoism and self-orientation in Polish society. I have a feeling that every year, situation deteriorates. The richer and more “open” Poles are becoming, more selfish and less respectful for other people, these people become. And it is nothing unusual since, Poles have been emmigrating for the last 150-200 years. Great emmigrations from Poland have started during the age of partitions. Poles have been leaving for France, for Germany, for USA, Brazil, Canada and many other countries. If only Brazil were as rich and civilised state as Canada or USA…Parana state(the most Polish place in Latin America) is a great place to settle.

1 Like

I am appalled at this propaganda article. The author claims that the nationalist politics supported by the local Churches prevents introducing economic measures to give people jobs and prevent emigration to the Western part. No mention in what consist these politics so I dare to ask a few things to VoxEurope and the author:

1. Can you give specific example of such nationalist policies that have prevented the development of Romania and other countries of the region? Specific examples of such policies, not bla bla bla

2. Why the blame is put on Eastern European governments when all policies are dictated by Western EU countries, mainly France, Germany and the Netherlands? I start with the brutal liberalisation of 1990 known as “shock therapy” that destroyed the economies of the Eastern countries involved by hyperinflation that impoverished the population, illegal privatisations followed by manufacturing industries closure and the wipe out of the local industry.The destruction of the economic basis was so massive that they have not yet recovered. What was not destroyed was bought very cheaply by Western companies using corruption money. People started to migrate from the 1990s after being made redundant in masse.

The EU imposes all sort of protective measures aimed at protecting the Western European industry but stifle the Eastern European industry and agriculture. Farmers in Eastern Europe receive only half of the subsidies a Western ones get.

And then comes VoxEurope blaming the governments of the Eastern EU, which always do what is ordered from Brussels, and the Catholic and Orthodox Churches who are religious institutions, on not providing the welfare of Romanians and other Eastern European. And guess whose fault is? Nationalism! I can believe my eyes reding this drivel.

Emigration poses a much bigger challenge than immigration…

The emigration only emphasizes how paradoxical (and hypocritical) situation it is when EU elites pretend they can take care of all the poor from the whole world when EU is not even capable of securing basic prospects for its own 430 million inhabitants! And don’t be mistaken: it’s not only problem of “peripheral” EU member states (whose citizens head to “core” EU members with rather an unrealistic dream of prosperity) but it applies to the core members too as we can see the cases of massive bad living-conditions motivated demonstrations of ordinary people in France, exodus of Germans to Switzerland and rich non-European countries, or increasing criminality in Scandinavia.

It contrasts with how fast the rest of the world develops, in particular how eastern Asian countries are able to secure fast rise of living conditions for billions of their inhabitants. It’s sad because the main reason lies in failed political and corporate management in EU (both national and central levels), not in that the citizens of EU members would be less competitive.

A nice example is the failures in technological development: The only two Western companies able to built 5G infrastructure are traditional EU companies, yet most EU members contract a Chinese company to do that despite security risk. The fault is thus not that European corporations would not be qualified for that job but their management is incapable of adopting for the challenge and EU politicians underestimate need for long-term strategic economic development of EU and conditions for business. No wonder that when American government sees that, they consider to engage in these European companies in order to make things move (see https://cnb.cx/2ViavCY)… It is one concrete example but it only illustrates the failures in the system promoted by the European elites.

Similarly devastating effect for prosperity of European citizens is the current craze about “CO2 emissions”. The only solution that EU elites are capable of is increasing prices of the basic utilities needed for every citizen due to massive rise of prices of pollution permits (indeed, expensive pollution permits do not lead to change of technology but a simple increasing prices for final customers - ordinary citizens), the climate will continue to change, and the attention is diverted from more important environmental issues like waste processing (after China refused to take Western garbage for recycling, the problems with waste processing in EU rises because EU fully preoccupied with CO2 emission craze had neglected other environmental challenges).

Vivo in Friuli (Italia), mi piacerebbe andare a vivere e lavorare in Pannonia (Croazia), ma purtroppo non ci sono molte occasioni di lavoro e la paga è veramente bassa. Nel mio settore (siderurgico) in Croazia si prende circa la metà di quello che si prende in Italia; i prezzi dei prodotti di consumo sono circa come quelli in Italia, anche se le case e gli affitti costano molto meno: personalmente, avendo delle rate da pagare alle banche per molti anni a venire, non posso permettermi di accettare una paga così bassa.

Finché le differenze di salario tra i vari paesi d’Europa saranno così ampie, è ovvio che le persone emigrano dai paesi con salari bassi a quelli con salari più alti.

L’Europa dovrebbe occuparsi del problema delle differenze salariali tra i vari paesi, vedrete che se si risolve questo problema si risolve anche il problema dell’eccessiva emigrazione. Purtroppo non è facile: c’è un problema simile dentro l’Italia, perché le regioni meridionali si spopolano perché la gente emigra al nord, dove c’è più lavoro e i salari sono più alti, e in 150 anni di unità d’Italia questo problema non è stato ancora risolto…

Poles have always emigrated, Germans too. In the past it used to be no problem because people had enough children. If a child is missing today, the grandchildren are also missing, which leads to the demographic crisis. And the crisis is the reason that even more children and grandchildren emigrate. The hole gets deeper and deeper. The selfishness you complain about results from personal responsibility. Everyone is the smith of his happiness. That is capitalism Society .A lot of good smiths of their own happiness forge but not a happy Society . The question is how much you subordinate the ego to society, or whether you do it at all. Our individual freedom makes our states sick.

Hi Kuba, don’t expect there to be less division or selfishness in the US or Canada. Division is the order of the age as dictated by the new medium, i.e. social media. The media is the message and the meaning of social media is division.