Authoritarianism on the rise in Poland: There is no freedom without solidarity – VoxEurop (English)

After a new attack from radical nationalists against a LGBT+ march, and as the inequivocable signs of authoritarianism grow every day in Poland – but not only – at the expense of minorities and “traitors”, opposition newspaper Gazeta Wyborcza’s journalists call for supporters of democracy to stand up, and defend its core principles.

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://voxeurop.eu/en/2019/poland-5123550

I see nothing special in current situation in Poland. Typical cultural conflict between Liberal-oriented pseudo-intellectual elite and Conservative-Populist majority, supporting ruling Law and Justice. Personally I am a diehard pessimist when it comes to social development in Poland. I despite current Polish society, which is full of conflict, egoism, egotism, egocentrism, no matter of social status or political orientation. Both sides of the current “conflict” are totally hypocritical and full of hubris. Polish society has been divided and conflicted for centuries, I can say, that at least since emerge of Polish feudal model, in 15th Century and slow but continous errosion of political power under Jagiellonian dynasty. Poland needs plenty of time to develop new structure within the society, free of social and economic conflict. I am a pessimistic when it comes to the near-future development in all of economic, cultural areas. Poland is a very backward country with very divided society, Poles hate one another. Personally I prefer to stay away from this and prefer to be oriented more on the outside world, than on our primitive backwater.

The article sounds pessimistic but the Polish society has been evolving - especially young generation has been slowly diverting from faith of their parents (number of young practicing Catholics in Poland has been lowest in history) and is capable of critical views, see e.g. the movie Clergy that was watched by most Poles.

Therefore, I don’t think that excessive external pressure on fast changes can help. Other conservative countries like Ireland, Italy or Spain were able to come through the evolution without external pressure too. And in England we could see that Turing was forced to kill himself because of homosexuality 65 years ago and today he is portrayed on the 50-pound banknote. Changes need some time.

However, it is true that the changes around the world has been slowing - not only in eastern and southern EU members, but we can see countries like the USA, England, Turkey, India, Brazil, South Korea, Philippines, etc. - all of them elected politicians who want to resist fast globalization and forming universal world people out of their nations. I guess the main reason is that development in excessively globalist liberal countries is not attractive for citizens of many countries in the world anyomore. For example, the demographic, social and security situation in old EU members scares citizens of new EU members rather than being a role model. That’s why more people turn to nationalist / populist politicians who promise to preserve the current situation in those countries than they would if situation in Western Europe was shiny. For this reason I think that old EU members can better influence the situation in new EU members indirectly by showing that their models work well (and vice versa - if they don’t work well, the counter-pressure to keep their own ways in new EU members - and around the world in general - will be higher).

1 Like